Statement of Purpose
The Richland County Geographic Information System (GIS) provides improved methods of collection, management and use of location based information to support decision making processes and enhance public access to data.
GIS promotes fact-based decision making for both day-to-day operational needs and long range planning to benefit citizens of this county. GIS also enables elected officials, department heads, county employees, public and private agencies and citizens of Richland County to graphically view and analyze information, and apply GIS technology to issues.
- Provide enhanced 911 support to county emergency services personnel by creating and maintaining E911 map layers for the Computer Automated Dispatch system
- Facilitate emergency response planning and action
- Develop and maintain Richland County Interactive Web Mapping Service.
- Provide county commissioners, administrators, and planners a cost-effective means for coordinating, sharing and disseminating location based information and graphic and data analysis tools for decision making and presentations
- Enhance communication among local, regional, state and federal government agencies, as well as utilities, businesses and industries through cooperation and data integration
- Promote increased awareness about GIS technology and applications to the public and private agencies
- Coordinate the development of GIS databases within Richland County departments to reduce redundancy and increase efficiency
- Provide technical assistance for any Richland County projects
- Update and maintain Richland County’s cadastral base map
- Collect GPS coordinate information for Public Land Survey System (PLSS) section corners and quarter corners to increase accuracy of existing GIS layer
- To create and maintain GIS data standards for Richland County