• As a land Records office, we are to maintain a permanent record of all documents, which we record.
  • To provide and maintain a permanent database for property records search.
  • To provide quality service and information to our customers.

This office is responsible for the following:

  • Recording any and all types of documents which affect title to real property in Richland County ND
  • Recording/Filing Power of Attorneys
  • Filing Wills for safekeeping
  • Filing Corner Monument Records
  • Filing Burial Permits


The County Recorder's Office records the following documents:

  • Deeds
  • Mortgages
  • Assignments of Mortgage
  • Satisfactions of Mortgage
  • Contracts of Deed
  • Easements
  • Affidavits
  • Wills
  • Surveys
  • Plats
  • Military discharges are filed for record, and certified copies are provided to the individual or the veteran service officer at no charge.
  • Family history assistance is provided to the public.  Name, property and marriage searches are also completed and copies provided if requested. 

Who owns a piece of property?

It is helpful to have a legal description of the property you are inquiring about.  We will provide you with the last deed of record.  You may also subscribe to the NDRIN website.  It is a subscription based site with all 53 counties in North Dakota.

How do I transfer property?

In most cases, you will need to have a deed drawn up to transfer property.  We advise you to contact a real estate attorney or title company.  We do not have forms available and cannot assist you with the legalities of such documents.  North Dakota is a race to record state.

How do I obtain a copy of my deed?

You may request a copy of your deed either in person, by phone, by mail or e-mail.  It is helpful to have the legal description of your property.  Copy fees are $1/page.  A Certified copy is $5 for the first page, $2 for each additional page.  To fax or e-mail a document is an additional $3 fee.  Payment is required up front.  Sorry, we do not accept credit cards.

Who do I call for a copy of my Birth Certificate?

Birth records are only available from the North Dakota Division of Vital Records in Bismarck.  They can also be ordered online from the ND Department of Health.


Marriage Licenses and Applications.

  • Must be applied for in person
  • Applicants do not have to be Richland County Residents
  • Both parties are required to be present and complete the application
  • You must be 18 years of age to obtain a marriage license.
  • The licenses are kept on file.
  • Information needed for both  parties:
    • Full Name
    • Address
    • Date of Birth
    • County of Residence
    • Social Security Number
    • The names the bride and groom want after marriage
    • If previously married, a certified copy of the divorce decree or certified copy of the death certificate
    • Proper identification – driver license or picture ID
    • $65.00 (Cash Only) is payable at the time of applying.  We currently do not accept credit or debit cards.

In the state of North Dakota, there is no waiting period after you apply for the license before the marriage may take place.  The license must be used within 60 days and may be used anywhere in North Dakota

How do I get a copy of my divorce decree?

Contact the Clerk of District Courts in the Richland County Courthouse at 701-671-1524


Hours are Monday through Friday
8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.






Winter 10% Permits
Transportation Permits
(All permits may be faxed, emailed or dropped directly to the Highway Dept., Main Office)

Recurring Events:

County Commission Meets the 1st and 3rd  Tuesday @ 8am
Water Resource Meets every Tuesday @ 8am

2019 Holiday Schedule


Recent Meeting Minutes

Click here to view all recent and historical Meeting Minutes